This dish is best for days like today where the weather is miserable; wet, cold & windy. I thought Spring has arrived already, but unfortunately lovely Melbourne is living up to its reputation and have been giving us crappy weather for the whole week. Today has also been one of those days where you sit at work, planning your dinner at 4:30pm and waiting for the clock on the computer screen to tick over to 5:00pm (Home time!). So during my non-productive day at work, I have decided to make this creamy pasta dish because I felt like coming home to a warm and hearty dinner.
This recipe takes a little bit longer to prepare and cook, so you might not want to choose this dish if you are after a quick and easy meal. In saying that, it only takes about 40-50 mins prep, cook and dish up. The pasta and the sauce is not the time consuming part, it’s roasting the pumpkin, but everything can be done simultaneously which could cut down some precious time. Trust me the roast pumpkin is worth the effort, it goes so well with the pasta and sauce.
- 500g Fettucini ( or any other pasta that you prefer)
- 1 piece of double chicken breast fillet – sliced
- 6 cup mushroom – sliced
- 3 stalk spring onion – sliced
- 2 middle – cut bacon – chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves – crushed
- 1 quarter pumpkin – diced
- 60g baby spinach leaves (you can add more if like more vege in the dish)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2/3 cup light cooking cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (extra oil needed for roasting)
- salt & pepper for seasoning
- Preheat oven to 220 degree celsius.
- Place diced pumpkin into an oven proof dish and drizzle olive oil over pumpkin. Add salt and pepper to season and mix everything together so pumpkin is coated.
- Roast pumpkin in oven for around 30 mins or until pumpkin is soft
- Boil water in a large saucepan. ( I like to drizzle olive oil and add a bit of salt once the water is boiling to prevent the pasta from sticking and also add a bit of taste)
- Cook pasta as per instructions on packet.
- Drain and keep warm. (once drained, I will also add a bit of olive oil to stop it from sticking to each other)
- Heat up a fry pan over medium-high heat with half of the olive oil and then pan fry the chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes or until browned.
- Transfer chicken to a bowl and set aside
- Heat remaining oil in the same pan and add mushroom. Cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add bacon and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes or until browned. Add spring onion, garlic and mustard. Keep stirring as you add all the above ingredients and cook until fragrant.
- Add white wine and simmer until reduced in half
- Return chicken and juice to pan, stir to coat.
- Stir in chicken stock, bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cream and simmer for further 5 minutes, the sauces starts to become thicker. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Add pumpkin and spinach leafs, stir until spinach is wilted
- Serve with pasta
* This recipe is adapted from recipe “creamy chicken & pumpkin pasta on http://www.taste.com.au